Monday, July 21, 2014

Home is where the heart is

June has been a crazy month. . .

  • ·         I participated in a cross country relay run
The so I ran/walked 35k in the Benin sun. Not easy work for a girl of my size and under the African sun but I did it for the girls and to finance gender equality projects and I don’t regret one step.

  • ·         Benin received 54 new volunteers
It was really great seeing the new volunteer’s fresh off the plane in Benin. Through their questions and enthusiasm I was brought back down and forced to refocus on why it was I set out to do this journey a year ago. Welcome to Benin you all, enjoy the ride!
Words of wisdom: The hardest thing to do at times is to notice self-change. We change a little every day, and we never stop. Think about where you are now and where you were 5 years ago. Note the old you and the you today, congratulate yourself for your growth and accomplishments and set out to change your faults. 

  • ·         I was chosen to be a one of the trainers for these volunteers
Training was heavy but definitely useful. I tend to get along better with people older than me than I do with people my same age.  It was definitely helpful getting a better understanding of why us people of the “millennium generation” are the way we are .

  • ·         I helped redo a training manual for other health volunteers
Long and hard work but paying it forward so that the next group has it even a little easier than I have had it is always worth it.

  • ·         I celebrated one year in Benin
This basically means that good food is only one year away from my grasp.

  • ·         I was a counselor at a week-long girl’s camp.
Around 50 girls from the tops of their classes were chosen to spend a week in the city of Djougou, for some it was there first time ever getting a chance to leave their village. Seeing girls come in at the beginning of the week shy and closed off and leave at the end open and empowered made every second of this week worth it. Some of these girls opened up to me and it is really heartbreaking when you hear what life has thrown at them already in only 16 years of living. I felt honored to be a part of this week, sorry Camp Ramapo, but one week of Camp Success made this my best summer ever.  And I was chosen to be one of the two directors of camp next year. I said a BOOM CHICKA BOOM!


Unfortunately this all meant that I had to be MIA from my village for four weeks. Time away from village is tougher for some volunteers than others. I personally don’t like it and try to avoid it when I can. For one, when your village doesn’t see you for a month they all think you’ve gone back to America and when you show back up are all looking for “les bons choses de -bas”, or in English, presents. Also when you’re gone for that long you feel overwhelmed with work, or at least I do. I feel like as the volunteer of my village and I owe them a certain amount of work. It’s a really weird type of guilt. The final thing that really sucks from being away from village for a long time is that if you have a pet, like my sweet ball of fur Maggie, they tend to go missing. There aren’t any places that babysit animals, hell children for that matter. If you don’t live close to any Americans you can’t just leave the animal in your house give someone a key, and expect someone to come in and feed her and for nothing to be missing when you get back. So you leave your animal outside but even if you give your neighbors food to give her while you’re gone it doesn’t guarantee that your neighbors will do that or that they won’t wonder into someone’s sauce before you get back.  So my month was productive, inspiring, and an eye-opener to too many things, but the downfall is that Maggie is goneL

No comments:

Post a Comment