Sunday, May 26, 2013

In preparation of my departure...

Inshallah (God willing), a month from tomorrow I will be arriving in Benin! It is so surreal already. At graduation I was 50 days away and now I just booked my flight with SATO. I've been spending my time since graduating with my mother. I'm lucky that it is just me and her in the house for this short amount of time. Lots of quality time, food eaten, and movies watched together. Did I mention she's leaving me for 16 days and won't be back until the two days before I leave?! At least she gets back in time to drop me off at the airport. It will probably be my mom, my sister, and my grandma seeing me off. I don't want to spend too much time thinking about that tearful moment...
In the past I have been notorious for packing light, quick, and efficiently. I've never been a big fashionista or materialistic in any sense, but somehow packing for this 27 month adventure has been an unexpected challenge. I mean I have to fit my life into 107inches and 100lbs for goodness sakes! There is a rumor of a volunteer that packed nothing but a multi tool in the past and did just fine, I don't think I could ever do that. I mean my hair products alone are 15lbs, lol. I've been working to pay off the last of things that need to be payed off and buy the last of things that need to be bought. I managed to get all the clothes I need from Marshalls and Goodwill and I've been scouring other discount sites for deals. I truly lucked out at graduation and I am so blessed to have such an amazing and generous family. I cried like a baby on that day from all the outpouring love. It was truly an amazing day; the perfect lasting memory to bring with me. I have pretty much all the big things that I want to pack packed besides a shortwave radio, some sports bras, and an ipod. I also have a few tasks I need to complete before departing, here's my list:
-put in my two weeks notice at work (my last day will be June16th!)
- sign my car over to my sister
- visit my dad and if all works out right visit my grandma in NY
- cancel my car insurance
-buy my last things




I think ill be posting my first vlog soon and my next blog post will be an updated timeline from the day i first applied until the day I fly out!

5 comments:

  1. You are going to make a vlog?!!! Yay!! We are making a vlog together in Philadelphia; you can't say no!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why would I try? Lol, I'm going to try and do one once a month. We need to figure out where we're going for our last supper (i.e. last meal before Benin)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HELLO AUNT ZAKIYYAH AGAIN

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Salaam Alaikum how are you doing me and the kids hope to see u before u go InshaAllah they miss you amina ask about you all the time

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss you all. I will definitely be by before i leave this saturday ill be arriving and then leaving sunday inshallah

    ReplyDelete